Magid's 10 Radiographic Commandments
Donna Magid, M.D., M.Ed.
- LOCALIZE WITH ONE FINGER: "Trust No One, Believe No One ".
- CONE and CENTER: True area of interest gets center stage.
- Remember that ONE VIEW IS NO VIEW. “The Truth Is Out There".
- Clinician, COMMUNICATE with the Radiologist and Technologist. CRF, HIV, Hep C, Allergies, Altered MS, all matter.
- EMBRACE DESCRIPTIVE PROCESS and PRECISION: DESCRIBE first (Telephone or Sketchpad Model) DIFFERENTIAL second
- Be VERITABLE WITNESSES (Heinlein) Assumptions about the inadequately seen can be lethal.
- PURGE (most) "DEAD WHITE GUYS'', SLANG, and MALLBONICS from thy medical speech. Medical Expression is both art and skill. Adieu ''Chip Fracture'' ''Sorta'' Like...ummm..'' "Colles Fracture''
- Treat THE PATIENT, Not The RADIOGRAPH. FOLLOW Up, 10-14 Days, if hx/exam/gut suggest fracture.
- LEND NO FOOTHOLD TO LAWYERS. "Resist or Perish'' ... " Fight The Future".
- Distinguish between (invisible) ENERGY (i.e., x-rays) and (visible) IMAGES (i.e., Radiographs, Studies, Images, Views...).